Saturday, December 31, 2011

Year end Musings - 16

Another year rolling by and as usual, marvelling as how time flies by.
Year 2011 started off with Bryan Graham's tweet about Andre's auction in Taiwan, which almost every media outlet and blogosphere enthusiastically spread the news without even bothering to find out what really occured to ending with ridiculous statements by Khode Klisch. And just like her tennis career, none of these had any effect on her life. Just like she played on the tennis court as if there is no tomorrow, she is enjoying her personal life as mother and wife in the same way. Wishing another great year for the Agassi-Graf family.
           A reason to look forward to 2012 is that the year gives an opportunity for someone to level Steffi Graf's 1988 achievement of 'Golden Slam'. Makes you realize how Steffi made it look easy as can't see anyone doing that even with some great players in the current generation but as with everything, can never say never, so eagerly waiting for the next Steffi Graf so that my kids can have the same experience growing up as I had in my life following Steffi's career.

Sam Stosur on her idol Steffi Graf:
Have you ever met Steffi?
I have - once. I was more nervous meeting her than I was before most matches I have played. It was in Paris in 2009. She was nice, laid-back, easygoing and unassuming. A pleasure to meet. I had her on a pedestal my whole life and when you see how down to earth she is, it becomes a great experience in your life to meet her.
How do you think you would go against her?
I think even now she would give most of us a run for our money. All the people who I know have played and practised with her just say she was one of a kind. The way she moved her feet. Her intensity. I don't know I would want to practise with her, to be honest. She might be too good for me!
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/xyx-tennis/from-shy-girl-to-superstar-sam-stosur-takes-it-in-her-stride/story-e6frfgao-1226233977240

"Stop thinking, start feeling" was the famous advice from Steffi to Andre but how to amateur tennis players do that!! May be some 'technology' assistance is needed to 'feel' right while hitting the ball.
http://blogs.tennis.com/the_pro_shop/2011/12/playing-by-feel-experiences-with-the-racquet-bracket-.html

Reading this old article and not surprised that even a phtographer's lens loves to capture Steffi. Some great pictures from the Wimbledon roof ceremony. Just click on the 'webgallery' in the article.
http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2009/05/your-call-523.html

An interview from 09 around Steffi's 40th B'day. Steffi saying she was uncomfortable looking at Novotna after her famous 93 wimbledon win.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-1192647/EXCLUSIVE-Steffi-Graf-40--striving-perfection.html

And finally for me, the highlight of tennis this year (apart from Novak's great year and Kvitova's emergence) is Andre's speech at the tennis HOF.  Good to see that I am not the only one who was moved to tears by the speech.
http://glutenfreebowlofsoul.blogspot.com/2011/12/grace-gratitude-happy-new-year.html

Happy New Year and hope I can keep blogging away in 2012 as I did in 2011.